S U N N Y (써니)
Stage Name: Energy Source SUNNY (활력소 써니 – hwalryeokso Sunny)
Birth Name: Lee Soon-kyu (이순규)
Nicknames: Soonkyu, DJ Soon, Ssun, Sunny Bunny, Choi Danshin (the shortest)
Blood type: B
Date of Birth: May 15, 1989
Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Sibling(s): 2 older sisters (Lee Eun-kyu, Lee Jin-kyu)
Position: Lead Vocalist
Language: Korean (Fluent), English, Chinese (Basic), Japanese (Basic)
Specialty: Sports, Eloquence
Casted: 2007 SM Casting System
Training Duration: 9 Months (previously trained for 5 years in another company)
School: Baehwa Girl’s High School (배화여자고등학교) [graduated]
- 2008 DJ for Melon ‘ChunJi Radio: Sungmin & Sunny’ (with Super Junior Sungmin)
- 2008 MV Super Junior H – ‘Cooking? Cooking!‘
- 2008 OST for movie Story of Wine ‘Finally Now‘
- 2008 OST for SBS drama Working Mom ‘You Don’t Know About Love‘
- 2009 CF ‘Post Cereal‘ (with Sooyoung & Seohyun)
- 2009 MC for SkyTV ‘the M’ (with SS501 Hyungjoon)
- 2009 OST for MBC drama Heading to the Ground ‘It’s Love‘ (with Taeyeon)
- 2009 MC for MTV ‘the M’ (with 2AM Seulong)
- 2009 Variety show KBS2 ‘Invincible Youth’ (as part of Girl7)
- 2010 OST for SBS drama Oh! My Lady ‘Your Doll‘
- Sunny is the shortest member of SNSD.
- Sunny is in charge of aegyo (cutesy acts) in SNSD.
- She doesn’t really fond of her real name, Soon-kyu because it sounds old and outdated.
- The name Soon-kyu lives on through her participation in variety show ‘Invincible Youth’ wherein Sunny revealed her hard-working side as a farmer. Many viewers thought “Soonkyu” was a nickname given to fit her persona of hard-working country-side girl in the show, while in fact it’s her real name. She also gained the nickname “Chicken-catcher Soonkyu” thanks to her impressive ability to catch chicken.
- Sunny was born in United States and the moved to Kuwait when she was an infant.
- She and her family was a war refugee during the Gulf War in Kuwait.
- Sunny has a phobia to fireworks and loud sounds, probably because of the Gulf War experience she had.
- Sunny is an avid gamer.
- Sunny is a niece to SM Entertainment’s founder and former CEO, Lee Sooman.
- She’s the last to join SNSD and the one who received the shortest training in SM Ent; that was because she was trained in another company, owned by singer Wheesung, for five years but the company went bankrupt so Sunny auditioned to SM Entertainment instead.
- Sunny shares the same birthday with both of her older sisters.